Monday 5 May 2014

What Liv Learned April 2014

1. I always thought picture books were a mainly 20th century invention. It appears like I'm off however, as the first children's book was published sometime in the 1600's and called Orbis Pictus by John Amos Comenius. Very cool!


2. The word blog is actually slang for web log. Which sounds so quaint that I think I'll start saying it for fun.

3. I used to think that the silky white scarves of army pilots (think Colonel Klink in Hogan's Heroes) were simply a fashion statement. Apparently (and honestly, they ARE men so...) there is a non-aesthetic reason. While in flight, pilots were constantly swivelling their heads back and forth to scan the skies and the scarf evidently protected their necks from the chafing of leather or wool.

4. Always fascinated by a mystery and hopeful for happy endings, I was happy to read this month that Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were never officially recorded as dead. Furthermore, there is (thin) reasonable doubt whether they were actually buried in South America.

So I can continue with my life, convinced that they didn't run out of a tight spot to their deaths, cracking jokes and coats flying. They probably became potato farmers, right?

Take that, movie.

5.  When classifying seeds or plants (you know, when you do that) here are some things to remember.
If they are dicots, they have two original sprouting leaves, and the veins of the leaf are netted. If it is a monocot, there is one sprouting leaf, and parallel veins.

You just never know when you might need to know this! (I promise.)

6. This month, I also brushed up on my rusty super hero knowledge. You see, the X Men are like a sub-group of super heroes...and each super heroes' world is not isolated from the others like I thought it was previously.

I still have a lot to learn though. I mean, do you capitalize super hero? And is it one word or two?



I think warmer weather is staying, guys! Enjoy this Spring life, OK?

~Liv


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a fun month! :D That's really interesting about the web log. I love etymology.

    I can help you with the superhero business. No, it's not capitalized, and they are actually written as one word. Super villains, on the other hand, are different. Still not capitalized, but the words are definitely separate. :D I'm a big superhero fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rayne! That is very helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, 'web log.' If you say it right you can make it sound like 'we blog.' ;)

    ReplyDelete