May is over? What!
Here are some things to start your June off right.
1. Did you know that behind every baseball game, there stands a couple talented ball girls/boys?Their job is to protect fans from getting beaned by fouls...and they can catch baseballs in a serious way.
This is not real, but still fun.
2. Those who collect or deal coins as a hobby are called numismatists. Sounds spooky (I'm thinking necromancer)...but that's the name they have for it!
3. Apparently there is a reason why some songs make us dance. So it's true that we can't really help it (and I'm not crazy!)
And here is probably the danciest song around, right now.
4. I always thought that poetry was all about syllables...and to make the lines match you simply needed ten fingers and a brain to count.
So I was surprised to discover metric foot, which has to do with the stressed syllables. It appears that the important thing is only how many stressed syllables you have. This determines the type of meter you are dealing with, and also creates consistency between two lines.
The extra words and syllables which are unstressed can just relax. As long as there aren't more than four per stressed syllable - nobody is worried about them!
5. Hell's Angels started as a veteran's motorcycle club and the name refers to a nickname for bomber squads during WW1 and 2.
6. A guitar capo? The best invention ever.
It means that I can play any song on the internet, while still only knowing 8.5 chords.
Any song requests?
7. Poker is a difficult game to master and best left to professionals. But if you ever want to create a stiffly competitive game, throw a few Oreos in the pot.
8. And last but not least, I've discovered the worst name in the history of country music. Ready?